- August 2, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA) was founded in 1939 as the labour movement’s humanitarian solidarity organisation. Our vision is Solidarity in Action, and we aim to improve people’s living conditions and create societies that are more just and more democratic. In Norway, we have around 14000 members, and in total 2500 employees working in more than 30 countries around the world. NPA’s core areas are International Development, Humanitarian Assistance, Humanitarian Mine Action and Disarmament, First Aid and Rescue Services and International Solidarity, Anti-Racism & Inclusion. In all our interventions, we continuously work to reduce our climate- and environmental impact.
Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA) is seeking a Country Director for our Mine Action and Disarmament Programme in Kosovo.
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to impact millions of people for decades to follow. Mine Action and Disarmament’s vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by Explosive Ordnance (EO). Currently, NPA has more than 20 Mine Action Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Southeast Europe and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from explosive weapons?
Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA) Mine Action and Disarmament programme in Kosovo was-re-established in the country in 2014 and focuses on the release of land contaminated with cluster munition remnants (CMR) and other explosive remnants of war (ERW) originating from the armed conflicts between the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (FRY) and the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) in the late 1990s and between the FRY and NATO in 1999. NPA is supporting the Kosovo government’s goal of declaring the country free of CMR hazards, and operates mainly in the northern areas of Kosovo, currently with eight mixed-gender and multi-ethnic battle area clearance (BAC) teams. The programme employs a team of 111 staff members, including the international position of Country Director.
In this position, your main responsibilities will be:
- Responsible for strategic leadership, management and representation of NPA in the country
- Manage and maintain NPA’s operational design, and implementation focusing on quality, relevance, impact and cost efficiency
- Responsible for resource mobilisation for the programme, including donor strategies and fundraising, ensuring quality and timely delivery of all proposals and reports
- Take the lead in ensuring that relevant NPA policies and procedures are in place to enable the development, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of activities undertaken by the programme
- Identify, promote, and secure good cooperation and synergies with NPA Head Office, programmes, and partners.
- Overall responsibility for the safety and security of NPA staff, assets and resources and crisis management.
- Responsibility for active gender, inclusion and environment mainstreaming within the programme and in all NPA activities
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Relevant higher education and/or relevant professional experience.
- Experience in managing mine action and humanitarian disarmament programmes
- Profound understanding of IMAS and international best practices regarding the land release
- Experience in developing programme strategies and strategically managing and directing large-scale projects including implementation, management, monitoring, evaluation, risk assessment, mitigation and contract compliance
- Strong management skills with proven ability to lead and manage multidisciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Experience in managing finance, administrative and human resource systems to ensure programme efficiency, including knowledge and understanding of relevant institutional donors (NMFA, USDoS-PMWRA and EU)
- Written and verbal proficiency in English
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Experience in working with national authorities, donors, and other relevant stakeholders
- Knowledge and understanding of Information Management
- Profound understanding of the implications of working in a post-conflict environment
- Understanding and knowledge of the regional political and security context
- Understanding of, and commitment to, humanitarian principles
- Experience from NPA
In this position, the following personal qualifications are required:
For all positions, we are looking for people with the experience and ability to work independently, be proactive and make decisions as required. Good communication skills, cultural understanding, diplomacy and interpersonal skills are a prerequisite for being successful. Internal candidates are encouraged to apply.
Preferred starting date: As soon as possible
Duty station: Mitrovica, Kosovo
In return, we offer:
- Comprehensive salary package including country-specific allowances and insurance scheme.
- Five weeks’ annual holiday plus one additional week off for expats.
- Three international flights home per contract year.
We continuously strive for diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. In addition, we are aiming to reduce our environmental impact in all our interventions.
We kindly ask you to carefully read NPA’s Code of Conduct, Safeguarding Policy, and Anti-Corruption Policy before you submit your application. If you are the selected candidate for this position, you will be asked to complete and sign a Safeguarding self-declaration and our Code of Conduct.
*Validity of the offer and contract depends on a satisfactory medical certificate, full vaccination, valid travel visa and necessary permits for service and residency in the country of service. The offer and contract also depend on donor funding and might be subject to donor approval.
For more information about NPA, please see our website or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
Please note that screening and interviews may take place continuously and before the application deadline
Christian Matre Illman
How to apply
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons, we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.