- December 6, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Director, HR Compliance, Compensation & Benefits (CCB)
Reports to Chief People Officer | Supervises a team of 4-5 HR professionals.
Full time | Starting January 2024
Required Location: Minneapolis, USA | Office Attendance: Hybrid
Candidates must be authorized to work in the US
Hello Hello! So you’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here.
When you Join Alight, you’ll find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
If you are looking to be part of a living, breathing, ever-changing organization full of disrupters and doers, then read on!
About the Department: Office of People
We are the Office of People and our mission is to support all of the people who work to deliver the Alight-family experience—our staff, volunteers, incentive workers, candidates – every person within Alight. We help people navigate the complexity of our space and offer them ways to orient, connect, and flourish with tools and structures that are clear, accessible, and consistent. We hold Alight culture sacred and use our values as a North Star to guide our work and behaviors, creating a safe and inclusive environment for all. We honor these commitments with a promise of confidentiality and follow through to each person we serve.
About the Unit & Team
The CCB Unit, is one of four units – the pillars: Talent & Seeking, Relations & Wellbeing and Safety/Security functions – in Alight’s Office of People (OOP).
The CCB function aspires to deliver simple, understood, fair and most competitive global CCB processes so all our people across the Alight family of organizations (Alight, Eastern Congo Initiative, Questscope, ORAM, and Kuja Kuja) feel valued and deliver quality services to displaced persons.
The CCB team comprises function Leads for Benefits & Administration, HRIS & Reporting, Compensation & Payroll, and HR Administration, working collaboratively across an integrated team within the Office of the People. We guide, support, and advocate for our 2,500+ people along the employment and volunteer journey at Alight.
About the Role
The Director, CCB is a strategic leadership role within the OOP and across the Alight family of organizations, that is highly collaborative and informed by principles of belonging, diversity, equity, and inclusion. You are responsible for the full spectrum of compensation, compliance and benefits’ strategy, planning, execution and management, and policy contribution in the organization.
You’ll work alongside a committed team of 4-5 functional leads within the CCB unit who execute, track, and report on respective & collaborative functional areas, creating one-ness of policies, procedures, and approach that align with Alight values and strategy. You will support planning, design, oversight, and assure administration of global compliance, compensation and benefits programs and initiatives. You will utilize your renowned strategic thinking, planning expertise, robust HR/people management experience, and analytical abilities to execute demands of this role!
You’ll know you’re doing well if…
⁻ You’re providing effective leadership, guidance, and decision-making support to your direct team of HR professionals, Alight leaders, in support of Alight employees’ journey.
⁻ You’re staying abreast with, seeking input and collaboratively enabling and executing Alight & OOP strategies with your team, and across the organization.
⁻ You’re helping to create and facilitate a results and experience based CCB performance, values and equity culture for Alight people.
⁻ You’re keeping Alight total reward strategies, inclusive of updated job analyses, surveys, grades/grids, and benchmarks levelled up, equitable and market competitive.
⁻ You’re securing overall compliance of policies and practices of compensation and benefits’ administration, reviews, audits and reporting.
Building a shared organization takes time and intention. We will always be becoming Alight, which means your work will evolve as well. For now, here’s how you could anticipate spending your time:
We strive to represent the diverse communities we serve. Applicants who contribute to this diversity and those who bring lived experience with displacement are strongly encouraged to apply.
Leadership & Management (35%)
- Lead the review/development of CCB strategies, programs, processes, standards, and tools to align with the Alight mission, beliefs, values, and strategic direction.
- Provide transformational leadership, guidance and support; promoting awareness and understanding of CCB strategic priorities and required capabilities for your team’s and organizational optimized outputs/results and performance.
- Complete ongoing review and refining CCB strategy, roadmap, and operational plans to ensure capabilities are in place to enable organizational objectives including employee experience and journey.
- Contribute to CCB unit resource planning, management and accountability.
Benefits/Administration & Compliance (30%)
- Support design and administration of employee benefit programs for all staff – includes enterprise, US, roving, and expatriate staff. Benefit programs include medical, dental, life, AD&D, short- and long-term disability, workers’ compensation, Flexible Spending Accounts (Section 125), 403b retirement and voluntary retirement annuity programs, emergency medical evacuation, and leave time.
- In partnership with Enterprise HR Leads, ensure plans are administered in accordance with country, federal and state regulations and plan provisions are followed.
- Ensure legal compliance with all benefits reporting requirements at Enterprise level, and for the US to include ERISA, IRS, DOL and other Federal and State agencies that govern benefit administration.
- Support Enterprises to manage and stay compliant with retirement, gratuity, severance and related plans; for the US to include TIAA-CREF, making and monitoring contributions to the plan.
- Review COBRA process and ensure data for EEO-1 and ACA (Affordable Care Act) compliance and reporting; understand and support internal processes to ensure accurate data is provided to designated third party,
- Contribute to reporting for all other relevant and required regular and annual statistics and reports including FSA Non-Discrimination testing, Watchlist reports and research, and Workers’ Comp audit.
- Related, review processes for other relevant and required regular and annual statistics and reports. Ensure checklists (including timeline and responsible persons) for required statistics and reports is up-to-date and encompasses all.
- Keep a focus on and provide ongoing guidance to Alight and affiliates on legal requirements and support for international benefits and compensation.
- Serve as a focal point for any HR compliance related guidance
Compensation/Payroll & Records (25%)
- Contribute to administering Alight global compensation & benefits, and equity, including working with Senior leadership, Talent team & CPO to determine proper salary placement within set grading systems.
- Support the Global HR Partners with global compensation structures and internal/external equity reviews and benchmarks.
- Review and assure complete paperwork for all compensation related personnel changes for headquarters and overseas international staff; with support to Enterprises as required.
Audits & Reviews (10%)
- Complete ongoing reviews and employee contributions to TIAA-CREF plan every pay period; ensuring plans remain in compliance and efficient, processes and accurate outcomes.
- Lead completion of 5500 and 8955 SSA reports, including completion of Organizer, Participant Detail Summary and Census Data & Compensation Reports for submission as required.
- As part of 5500 process, work with Finance & Accounting counterpart/s to complete audit of TIAA-CREF retirement plan.
- Periodically steward thorough CCB audit, internally and in collaboration with outside consultant/agency, as may be required from time to time.
Travel: As required in support of Alight, Affiliate region and country programs and teams. Expect at least 30% of time, though may fluctuate depending on needs.
Open heart and open mind. You start by listening. You believe another person’s truth and it changes you. It unlocks your way of thinking in that moment, it opens your world.
Curiosity. You are always learning. You ask why and why again. You know that change (big and small) is constant, which means your curiosity to learn is matched with adaptability to evolve.
Trust. You believe that people do their best, are disciplined, and care about this as much as you do. You take responsibility for your part and know how to step back and give others the space to shine.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- At least 10+ years of progressive human resources work experience, in INGO environment required.
- Possess 5+ years of Unit or Departmental level responsibility and team leadership directly working on global HR compliance, compensation, and rewards in humanitarian agencies or large programmes.
- Formal education: Bachelors in HR or related as a minimum; Masters or higher preferred.
- Holder of and active certification in HR/people management such as SHRM, PHR, CEBS and similar.
- Extensive experience in developing and implementing global-reach total reward strategies and solutions designed to achieve & balance people-interest and business objectives in INGO settings.
- Solid and direct team-leadership, support and supervisory experience at increasingly senior management levels with large INGOs
- Good command of and experience in administering full cadre of People/HR functions, the policies, compliance and reporting with US States’ specific conversance and practice required.
- Demonstrated experience and comfort utilizing HR information technology, solutions, and broader project management systems such as ADP, Jobvite, Serenic HR or similar.
- Practical experience and ability to design, review, update and document SOPs, Policies, hand/guidebooks.
- Direct experience with reviewing and leveling up total reward strategies, inclusive of developing/administering job analysis, surveys, grades/grids, and benchmarks in complex environments (i.e. multi-state and/or international)..
- Incredibly organized, takes responsibility for follow-up and follow-through with direct teams, agency senior leadership and people.
- Strong interpersonal skills and highly collaborative individual with a high level of emotional grounding, diplomacy, discretion, and tact.
- You can develop creative solutions to effectively solve problems while maintaining consistency with policies, standards, procedures, laws and regulations.
- Excellent planning and resource management skills, with ability to prioritize multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and be flexible often under demanding schedules and expectations.
- Proven experience working with culturally and globally diverse teams and groups balancing the varied needs of multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong attention to detail required, demonstrating a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
Benefits & Compensation
Salary starting at $104k annually
Health, dental, and MedEvac Insurance – We strive to offer the best-in-class healthcare plans to our staff each year. We cover 100% of the cost for your health premium and 75% of the cost for coverage for your spouse/dependents.
Retirement – We contribute 6% of your salary regardless of your contribution amount, after one year of service.
Generous Leave Time – Between general leave, home leave, and R&R, you have ample opportunity to take time off when you need it.
Borderless Team of 2,500 staff worldwide that sees possibility, celebrates moments of abundance, shares new ideas, and strives to do a better thing every day.
Learning & Development – Access thousands of free online learning courses to take at your own pace and tailor to your professional goals.
Alight – We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. WeAreAlight.org
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.