Position Title :Field Security Officer
Duty Station :Bamako, Mali
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment :Special short-term graded, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date :08 April 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leadingUN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM atwww.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia;Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the technical supervision of the Regional Field Security Officer (RFSO) for West/Central Africa, and in close collaboration with the Director of the Office of the Staff Security Unit (OSS) at Headquarters (HQ), and the programme managers at IOM Bamako, the successful candidate will be responsible for the security and safety matters directly or indirectly related to all IOM personnel and assets under the specific circumstances provided by the security situation in Mali. S/he will implement appropriate safety and security management procedures related to the protection of IOM staff, its assets and programme operations.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Collaborate, coordinate and establish networks with other international organizations, government security services and agencies working in the security management field, ensuring appropriate lines of communications relating to all aspects of security and safety of IOM Staff in the country office as well as in field locations are established and well maintained.
- Assist in creating an enabling environment to ensure the orderly functioning of the Mission’s programmes in close coordination with the Government, UNDSS, MINUSMA military and civilian branches, French military forces ‘Barkhane’, diplomatic missions, UN agencies and NGOs.
- Provide information, technical support and assistance to IOM staff regarding safety/security matters impacting on IOM programmes in the country.
- Report Security matters affecting staff safety directly to the relevant team leader and RFSO, liaise with various security services on the ground regarding safety/security issues of the Staff.
- In coordination with the RFSO, provide safety/security briefings for IOM staff deployed to and travelling within the country, and coordinate all travel security for the Mission relating to all IOM operations.
- Ensure all IOM staff and premises are fully compliant with area SRMMs, RSMs and internal SOPs and effectively address all non-compliance findings. Develop and provide pre-departure safety/security briefing for staff based on information received and SRAs conducted.
- Develop area specific security plan, programme specific SOPs, identifying possible evacuation routes/location for deep field mission and adequately brief staff on the plan.
- When directed by the CoM, attend Security Management Team (SMT) meetings. Conduct duty travel inside and outside the country as may be necessary and/or directed by the CoM or RFSO.
- Coordinate and maintain the IOM Country Mission vehicle fleet movement tracking system to ensure safe and secure movement of all mission vehicles including trucks, and recommend effective measures to respond to unauthorized movements. Coordinate the assignment and operation of the mission’s armored vehicles (AVs).
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political/ Social Science, International Relations, Law Enforcement, Security Management, Disaster Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with at least two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields from an accredited academic institution with at least four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in Security Management, Law Enforcement, migrant processing and emergency response at an international level;
• Experience working with transport providers;
• Familiarity with the context in the region or in Burkina Faso and previous working experience in the region an advantage.
• Comprehensive understanding of the United Nations Security Management System (UNSMS) and exhibit the ability to work with UNDSS in the field;
• Proven ability to collaborate with senior military and government counterparts;
• Demonstrated ability to manage a high degree of rational behaviour and decision making at all times irrespective of the gravity of the security environment.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values– all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
•Inclusion and respect for diversity:respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
•Integrity and transparency:maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
•Professionalism:demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
•Teamwork:develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
•Delivering results:produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
•Managing and sharing knowledge:continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
•Accountability:takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
•Communication:encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies– behavioural indicators level 2
•Leadership:provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
•Empowering others & building trust:creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
•Strategic thinking and vision:works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 08 April 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to:www.iom.int/recruitment
From 26.03.2020 to 08.04.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2020 75 Field Security Officer (P2) Bamako, Mali (56374041) Released
Posting: Posting NC56374042 (56374042) Released