- January 17, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
An empathetic support professional eager to learn more about finance and operations at an international nonprofit.
About the Position
At Namati, our people are our greatest resource. Our team of more than 170 passionate advocates is spread across six country offices and remote locations around the world, representing different languages, customs, legal systems, and operating environments. As we’ve continued to amplify our impact, our Namati Kenya team has grown to meet the needs of our global operations. Namati Kenya is home to our Community Land Protection and Citizenship programs, as well as staff from our communications, learning, and Legal Empowerment Network teams.
As a new position, the Finance and Operations Associate position will be an important support role at the nexus between finance and operations for the Kenya office, ensuring the integrity of the financial and office administrative functions. We’re looking for someone that shows initiative and can be resourceful in finding answers to day-to-day operations and finance questions. Given the nature of the work, we’re looking for someone that knows how to handle and protect the sensitive information held in this role.
As the first point of contact when people come to the Namati office, it’s also important for this person to have a kind and empathetic spirit, demonstrating Namati’s cultural principles to people as they enter the office. The right candidate will always seek to be a helpful resource both to their Namati Kenya team and to anyone who interacts with our Kenya office.
The Finance and Operations Associate will report to the Senior Finance Officer on finance related responsibilities, and will report to the Operations Manager on office administration responsibilities.
- Support the payment process by printing payment documents and submitting for review and approval
- Print bank confirmations and attach to expense forms
- Scan fully approved finance documents
- Manage filing system by ensuring that every expense form has a unique reference number and has all support documentation
- Manage inventory schedule
- Serve as petty cash custodian, including maintaining the petty cash register & preparing expense forms for petty cash payments
- Compile approved withholding payments and generate the payment slips
- Receive and dispatch supplies ensuring proper documentation of purchased items
- Assist in supervision of office maintenance, repairs and renovations
- Maintain office supplies – purchasing, issuance and monitoring stock
- Manage our physical office premises, including hygiene, lighting and repairs
- Collect and distribute mail
- Ensure monthly utility bills are paid
- Receive and direct visitors in the office
- Source for quotations from potential suppliers
- Follow up on supplies and deliveries
- Receive invoices from suppliers and prepare expense forms for payments
- Assist programme staff in hotel and flight bookings as needed
- Assist in making sure all staff have necessary stationery and supplies
- Assist in preparing consultancy agreements as requested by the Operations Manager
Here’s what you might have tackled last week —
- Held a meeting with team members from the Community Land Protection team to plan for transportation bookings for an upcoming workshop; researched transportation options and costs
- Booked conference room, set up projector, and troubleshoot any tech issues for a meeting with program partners, ensuring program staffers could focus on the content of the meeting
- Sourced a laptop and monitor for incoming new staff, and liaised with IT support firm to set up the new computer with Namati systems and platforms
- Worked with other Namati administrative colleagues to develop an office-wide system for reserving large conference room
- Worked with the Senior Finance Officer to prepare a cash reconciliation and replenishment for next month
- Track record of excellence: You hold a bachelor’s degree in business administration, purchasing and supplies, accounting, finance, or any other business related program. And you have demonstrable experience (at least one year) in this work. You genuinely enjoy this type of work.
- Exceptionally organized and attentive to detail: You are hyper-organized and detail-oriented by nature. As a matter of practice, you proactively check and double check your work to ensure it’s free of errors.
- Ease with technology: You’re a technophile, and when given the opportunity to work with a new program or application, you quickly become fluent
- Collaborative and service-oriented: You greet everyone you encounter with a collaborative spirit, kindness, and empathy. You are known as a team-player who brings an “all hands on deck” mindset to all projects — you’re happy to contribute however you can to advance Namati’s mission.
- Growth oriented: You’re always seeking to better yourself and your work, and you will push yourself to the peak of performance to help fulfill our mission. In service of that growth, you welcome and delight in feedback from supervisors, peers, and anyone else.
- Resourceful problem-solving skills: You know how to find answers and can figure out how to solve problems when they arise. You possess the personal initiative needed to improve processes.
- Knowledge of NGO context and work environment
- Knowledge of iTax
Nairobi, Kenya. Please note, you must already be legally authorized to work in Kenya to be considered for the position. It is anticipated that this position will need to be in the office regularly.
Compensation & benefits
The offer range for this position is an annual compensation of 1,300,000 – 1,450,000 KES. Final compensation will be commensurate with the depth of experience that the selected candidate brings. Namati also offers excellent benefits, which include health coverage, generous paid time off, retirement or old-age plan contributions, sick leave, and parental leave. All staff also have access to funds for professional development opportunities.
How to apply
Please complete our online application. Please submit a resume and cover letter – explaining why you’re interested in this position and what motivates you to apply – using our online application form. We’ll accept applications until January 31, 2022. No phone calls please. Namati is an Equal Opportunity Employer.