- January 8, 2024
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
BDO LLP the award-winning UK member firm of the BDO international network, the world’s fifth largest accountancy and advisory organisation, with more than 111,300 staff operating from 1,800 offices in 164 countries. BDO was founded in 1903 and has been in business for 120 years.
Within BDO LLP sits the International Institutions and Donor Assurance (IIDA) group, which works closely with global clients such as the World Bank, FCDO, UN agencies, the European Commission, Foundations and other Development Agencies. Here we have a strong track record of providing technical assistance and consultancy services in many developing and fragile and conflict-affected countries around the globe. This includes a portfolio of large and complex third-party monitoring (TPM) projects and evaluation services, in addition to assurance services, including financial and systems audits, certifications, internal control assessments, and technical assistance to international institutions.
Scope of Work
BDO is presently looking to expand its pool of experts suitable for financial monitoring roles. This pool will be used to resource existing and pipeline TPM contracts. The financial monitoring activities will be varied, reviewing implementation progress, adherence to international accounting standards and quality standards, and program effectiveness across diverse international development and humanitarian portfolios of work. The Financial Monitoring expert will play a significant role in designing the financial monitoring activities as part of the TPM system established through the project. Specifically, they are responsible for leading the design of financial monitoring activities, overseeing analysis, and preparing client reports on TPM. This will involve close collaboration with implementing partners and BDO subcontractors. Full-time and part-time positions are available, contingent upon award. This position is remote.
Terms of Reference
- Lead the design of financial monitoring protocols and/or evaluation terms of references, sampling frameworks, and data collection tools.
- Provide fiduciary assurance on the use of grant/funding proceeds, to ensure that the associated internal controls had been properly applied and that they are in compliance and consistent with the donor agreements and related eligibility criteria.
- Provide technical assistance, advisory support, and on-the-job training to the implementing agencies on project financial management to enable them to manage individual project accounts and generate financial reports.
- Monitor individual project accounts and assist them to generate timely and reliable financial reports that reconcile with their records.
- Lead on any other financial management related activities such as reviewing and reporting the percentage of quarterly financial progress (based on contract value) compared to the physical progress (actual physical progress on the ground) for any civil work/construction contracts, review the project bank reconciliation statements.
- Coordinate with implementing partners and sector experts to refine approaches and to ensure that financial monitoring reporting products are relevant and technically sound.
- Present findings and represent BDO at external meetings as needed.
Your Experience and Expertise
- At least 7 years of experience in financial management, payroll systems, auditing, audit sampling and procurement.
- At least 3 years’ experience working in working in emergency response, international development, stabilization, peacebuilding, or a related sector.
- Qualified (or part-qualified) public accountant or certified auditor, or hold equivalent degrees in accounting, public finance or economics.
- Experience implementing third-party monitoring projects in complex and fragile environments on behalf of institutional donors is preferable but not mandatory.
- Experience in environmental and social risk management, and information technology is also preferable.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and management skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; proficiency in Arabic is preferred.
How to apply
If interested, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position name and your name clearly marked in the email title.