- January 18, 2024
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Location: Tshivanga, Kahuzi Biega National Park (KBNP), DRC
Reports To: Site Director
Direct Reports: KBNP Finance Staff
Start Date: ASAP
The Head of Finance leads and manages finance and administration and ensures that it operates as a cohesive, functional unit that provides high-quality, responsive, timely and cost-effective services to the Park while remaining compliant with local laws, WCS policies and procedures, and donor requirements for the implementation of project’s activities. She/he performs efficient budgeting, expenditure monitoring, pipeline analysis, and reporting duties in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and grant requirements for the Park and keeps strict control on the resources allocated.
He/she will maintain appropriate communication and close relationships with KBNP Heads of unit, WCS DRC staff, major donors and funding agencies, and local government institutions. He/she will be responsible for all financial and administrative matters (financial control, reporting, etc..) for the Park.
The Head of Finance is based in the field and lives permanently at the Park’s headquarters in Tshivanga. He/she supervises the finance team in Tshivanga and reports to the KBNP Site Director, with a dotted-line report to the Country Finance Director based in Goma.
Financial Planning and Budgeting
- Support strategic decision-making on finance matters by maintaining an updated budgeted operational plan of KBNP detailing secured funding, planned proposals and gaps in funding.
- Lead and oversee the annual institutional budget preparation for KBNP, including oversight of the costing of the annual budgeted work plan
- Ensure the accuracy and updating of data to be entered into the institutional budget system throughout the fiscal year to ensure adequate resources are available to achieve program activities and deliverables, to support the monthly cash request to HQ, and to prepare the monthly pooled cost allocation.
- Support the technical staff by explaining and monitoring the use of the budgeted operational plan to ensure all activities incurred are in line with the agreed, approved plan.
- Develop donor budgets at proposal stage in compliance with WCS and donors’ requirements ensuring any financial gaps are taken into consideration and the budget aligns with the budgeted operational plan.
- Review of the monthly budget follow-up for each grant funding activities in KBNP, both grants that are 100% KBNP and those that are partially funding KBNP
- Coordinate with KBNP Program Manager and relevant logistics, finance, and technical staff to review monthly the budget follow-up file. For projects that are delayed, recommend corrective measures to be taken and identify responsible staff for each action.
- Review all KBNP balance sheet accounts monthly and make sure that for any issues the Country Director of Finance is aware.
- Ensure that month end reports and Fiscal Year end reports are accurate, complete, and submitted in a timely manner.
- Prepare donor financial reports for review by the Country Director of Finance and ensure any cost share, match or leverage required is met on time and in compliance with signed contracts and donor’s requirements.
- Prepare on-time monthly cash requests for KBNP, based on budget and cash flow projections, to ensure the project has all necessary funds for operations.
- Ensure cash baseline and cash limit at site are respected and payment methods implemented are adequately used.
- Inform regularly the KBNP Site manager about the financial status of the overall operations and alert the Site Manager and Country Finance Director if there are problems anticipated and/or identified
- Ensure management of sub-awardees follows WCS policies and procedures including but not limited to: completing risk assessment, analyzing proposal budget to ensure it aligns with program description, tracking expenses against budget, reviewing invoices, site visits, monitoring reports.
Internal Controls and Audits
- Ensure proper implementation and respect of internal control systems, WCS policies and guidelines in the Park.
- Serve, in coordination with the Country Finance Director, as the focal point person for all audit and financial reviews of KBNP
- Propose to Country Finance Director changes to local policies, procedures and tools for optimized financial management considering the realities and contexts of the operating environment.
- Coordinate execution of internal/external financial reviews or audits for KBNP, operational reviews or audits, and ensure timely follow up to all conclusions and recommendations by giving regular status reports to the Country Finance Director and Regional Controller.
- Lead, coordinate, and supervise local audits relating to accounting, tax, and labor matters
- Ensure project staff are familiar and compliant with WCS policies and procedures and donors related to accounting, finance and budget, and financial risks through training and mentoring.
- Provide training and capacity building to the KBNP program and finance staff to ensure they are updated on policies and procedures and accounting internal processes and principles.
- Responsible for recruiting, training, and managing finance staff for KBNP.
Perform other duties as assigned and as needed to represent KBNP on financial matters to partners and stakeholders.
Qualifications and experience required:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, preferably with a specialization in accounting. MBA or CPA a plus. Proven ability to develop and implement financial policies and procedures.
- Significant experience with the financial management of government and agency grants and contracts; experience with KFW, EU, US Government grants a plus.
- At least three years’ experience managing a financial sector for a business or non-profit organization.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and technical accounting skills
- Ability to live in a remote environment
- Interest in wildlife conservation and environmental issues
- Experience with the Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with different (tight) deadlines and stakeholders
- Good communication skills, both written and oral, strong facilitation and conflict resolution skills as well as strong analytical skills.
- Proven management skills and ability to work as part of a team within an organization.
- English and French required.
- SAP experience a plus
How to apply
How to apply
Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications, skills and experience, should apply through thelink by February 20 ,2024.
WCS is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value.