- January 9, 2024
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
CARE International Palestine (West Bank/Gaza) is looking for a committed professional to the values of Transformation, Integrity, Diversity, Equality, and Excellence for a six months contract with possibilities of extension, to fill the following vacancy:
The Health Specialist position aims to provide effective leadership and strategic oversight for the Health Program concentrating on Sexual, Reproductive, and Maternal Health (SRMH), Primary Health (PH), and nutrition programs for the West Bank and Gaza response. This includes:
• Lead and coordinate CARE’s emergency health response efforts, ensuring alignment with organizational objectives and global health standards.
• Provide technical leadership in designing, implementing, and monitoring emergency health programs.
• Lead the design of the health (SRMH and PH) activities to include the Minimum Initial Services Package (MISP) in emergencies and to plan for the response throughout the three main phases (Humanitarian Phase, Stabilization Phase, and Relief and Recovery Phase).
• Lead the design of the health (SRMH and PH) and nutrition section of needs assessment in coordination with other sectors.
• Lead the design of new Health (SRMH and PH) and nutrition proposals.
• Lead the Program managers to ensure quality and timely implementation of projects.
• Improve CARE Health response through Innovation and Learning
• Represent the organization on Health and nutrition for humanitarian donors in coordination with the other sectors and the Response Director
• Develop and implement health strategies aligning with CARE’s mission and vision. Stay abreast of emerging health trends and best practices to inform strategic decision-making.
• Lead sector-specific contextual analysis as input into the Response Strategy.
• The Health Specialist is a key member of the Response Team of CARE Palestine.
Job Responsibility #1: Contextual Analysis and Response Strategy
- Contribute to the development of the CARE Palestine Response Strategy that is aligned with the CARE International Humanitarian Strategy and the Country Office Strategy.
- Ensure that the health (SRMH and PH) strategy response aligns with the needs on the ground with focus on the SRMH response taking into consideration that CARE Federation puts women and girls’ health needs as a top priority in emergencies.
- Lead the implementation of the health component of the Response Strategy in coordination with the other departments.
- Report to the Response Director the progress, achievement and challenges of the implementation.
Job Responsibility #2: Lead the design of the health section of needs assessment in coordination with other sectors
- Take the lead in Health (SRMH and PH) and Nutrition needs assessments and provide input for multi-sectoral needs assessments.
- Provide regular contextual update on the needs in Gaza and West Bank related to the health sector.
Job Responsibility #3: Design of new Health proposals
- Lead the design and the development of all Health (SRMH and PH) and nutrition proposals in coordination with:
- CARE International Members Partners.
- Proposal writing and Reporting Officer.
- Finance and Program Support Department.
- Other sector leads and the Response Director.
- Responsible for the technical quality of the proposal, the definition of the sectors and the geographical area.
- Ensure that the design of the project goes in line with the needs of the affected population on the ground through communications with the Health Cluster and sub-clusters (SRH and PH clusters) for Gaza and the WB.
Job Responsibility #4: Quality and timely implementation of projects
The Health Specialist will directly line manage all the Health Project Managers and will ensure:
- Timely implementation of each project according to the context and the agreed implementation plan
- In coordination with finance and Program Support Department, ensure the compliance with donors’ regulations.
- Timely and quality reporting to the donors and CMPs
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning framework is in place and provide quality information.
- The health staff are trained on the PSEA policy and the feedback and complaint mechanism is in place
- Manage donor requirements for data collection and reporting.
- Ensure proper budget follow-up, projections and budget re-alignments where needed.
- Mentor the project leads
- Lead the recruitment, management and training of the health program staff in each field site who might be involved in emergency preparedness and response.
Job Responsibility #5: Improve CARE Health response through Innovation and Learning
In a fast-evolving environment, the Health Specialist will work with the MEAL department and the Response Director to:
- Conduct lessons learned exercises for each response to identify strength and weakness in CARE approaches.
- Document best practices and technical guidance to support quality implementation of activities.
- Conduct regular meetings with the implementing partners in Gaza and the WB to get their feedback on possible areas of improvement and gaps to fill related to the health services.
- Based on the feedback from the team on the ground and the Implementing Partners (IPs), the health specialist should provide a plan for capacity building for the CARE Health and the IPs teams.
- Pilot innovative approach that will be more adapted to the context and will increase the impact of CARE response especially on increasing the Gender Justice and reduce the Gender Based Violence.
Job Responsibility #6: Represent the organization on humanitarian fora and humanitarian donors.
The Health Specialist will represent the position of the CARE with:
- CARE Members partners for all related Humanitarian subjects.
- Humanitarian Clusters and Coordination.
- Peer organization in Technical Working Groups or in Consortium.
- Humanitarian donors for existing projects as well as exploring new partnerships.
- Establish and consolidate relationships with partners, including national and international NGOs, UN, donors and relevant government representatives for improved project implementation and to position CARE International as a credible, effective humanitarian organization.
- Ensure all projects are well coordinated with relevant government authorities and other humanitarian actors and align to the country humanitarian response plan.
Job Profile Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field (health) and Master Degree in Health (Preferably PH Master in SRH related field)
• Minimum of 7 to 10 to years of progressively-challenging experience working in humanitarian response (5 of which should be in similar positions).
• Prior management of USAID and ECHO-funded programs is required.
• Proven leadership skills. Demonstrated experience recruiting, developing, and managing staff.
• Previous working experience in Emergency Health Response situations (with a focus on the SRMH response).
• Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with donors, stakeholders, local organizations, and partners.
• Experience managing programmatic and financial reporting requirements.
• Experience in proposal and strategy development.
• Fluency in Arabic and English.
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills in a complex international setting.
• Extensive conceptual skills, including development of program strategy.
• Demonstrated experience in program design (including proposal development), implementation, and evaluation.
• Experience in emergency-related activities
• Experience with performance management
• Experience with the management of a diverse workforce
How to apply
Interested applicants are encouraged to send their CV and Cover letter by e- mail to email@example.com, to the attention of the HR Department no later than Monday 15/01/2024, indicating the job title the subject line and cover letter. Applications received after this date or that do not meet the qualifications above will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.
CARE International promotes the principle of Equal Opportunity for all.