- May 17, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Reporting to: Regional HR Manager ECA
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Application closing: 26 May 2023
Interpeace is an international organisation for peacebuilding that strengthens the ability of societies to manage conflict themselves in sustainable and non-violent ways. Interpeace designs and delivers its work tailored to each situation in collaboration with local partners and communities, based on extensive consultation and research. Interpeace also ensures that the processes of conflict management and change that it supports are integrated at all levels of society including local communities, civil society, government and the international community (we call it a ‘Track 6’ approach).
Interpeace was originally established by the United Nations and remains its strategic partner. Beyond field-based peacebuilding, Interpeace also assists the international community – particularly the UN – to be more effective in supporting peacebuilding efforts worldwide. This includes contributing innovative thought leadership on peacebuilding policies and practices.
Interpeace is headquartered in Geneva and has offices around the world. For more information about Interpeace, please visit www.interpeace.org
Position within the Organization
The HR Support Officer is a member of the Global Operations Unit which encompasses Finance, IT, Administration, Legal, Internal Audit and HR. The Global Operations Unit is led from the Headquarters office in Geneva, although team members are based in different locations around the world.
Under supervision from the Regional HR Manager, East Africa, the HR Support Officer maintains an efficient and effective human resources function in the region. S/he works closely with other operations and programme teams to create a more efficient and effective human resources function for an agile, responsive, and high performance Interpeace.
Purpose and General Overview
In line with the strategic direction defined by Interpeace, the HR Support Officer is responsible for the management of daily activities related to HR Management at first level, in the Nairobi Office.
The HR Support Officer retains a primary focus on diversity and gender equality and ensures these are reflected and promoted in all aspects of the work.
The position liaises with social partners such as the Labor Office, the NSSF, the NGO Board, insurance companies and others.
Guided by and under the supervision of the Regional HR Manager, a successful HR Support Officer will have:
- Clearly understood applicable HR policies and procedures in Kenya Office
- Ensured accuracy and completeness of HR records (including personnel files) in Natural HR. Monitoring closely leave management, contracts renewal, etc.
- Prepared payroll and be up to date on legislation changes.
- Coordinate all recruitments in Kenya and participate in interviews providing feedback on soft skills and cultural fit of candidates.
- Coordinate the necessary aspects of duty of care in the office.
Duties and responsibilities
- Talent Management
- Supports the implementation of the institutional recruitment frameworks, methodologies, workflows and policies that attract and secure high-performance talent in Kenya.
- Supports the hiring managers in understanding their staffing needs and redacting job descriptions.
- Coordinates the recruitment of Kenya-based positions, from advertisement to final offer.
- HR & employee work cycle Administration
- Responsible for managing all HR administrative tasks related to the employee life cycle:
- Drafts staff contracts, employment certificates, attestations, etc.
- Maintains and updates the personnel files for employees in Nairobi.
- Supports the maintenance of the HR online platform (NaturalHR).
- Follows up on work accidents, maternity leave and return to work.
- Ensures the incorporation of new employees to the various insurances and agencies.
- Prepares renewal, disciplinary processes, termination
- Participates in offboarding processes.
- Prepares for a successful employee onboarding, ensuring the timely provision of services to create the best possible experience for new st
- Supports the implementation of the function grid and salary scale in Kenya that facilitate fair, consistent, and coherent salary levels and job gradin
- Supports the procurement and renewal of staff insurances and pensions.
- Prepares the payroll:
- documents the variable elements of pay
- updates staff on any relevant changes
- prepares payroll (Sage software) and pay slips
- prepares the forms for payments to government authorities.
- Performance management and staff development
- Support with the coordination of the performance management processes:
- Plannings and coordinating meetings
- providing guidance and support as need
- Monitors the completion of the performance management framework
- Collects HR information from the relevant authorities and reports to Regional HR Manager
- Participates in process enhancements, improvements in policies and procedures and any other innovation changes that would optimize HR management at Interp
- Ensures that Interpeace’s values are integrated into the organization’s way of working, are embraced, and communicated to
- Complies with and champions all workplace health and safety policy and procedures while taking reasonable care at work to ensure safety. Any hazards observed should be reported to the Regional HR Manager ECA
- As the job description cannot be exhaustive, the incumbent may be required to perform other duties that are consistent with the HR function and overall with the key tasks above.
- First degree or certificate in Human Resources Management or equivalent work experience in a human resources role
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a human resources role
- Experience in fully spectrum of employment cycle recruiting and facilitating the onboarding of staff.
- Experience in implementing online payroll systems.
- Thorough knowledge of practices and procedures for preparing HR administrative documents and maintaining file system
- Intermediate level proficiency in MS Office applications i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Teams, Outlook etc.
- Good knowledge of the Labor regulations that guide employer/employee relationship.
- Good understanding of and ability to apply human resource management theories and principles.
- Basic understanding of the latest developments and trends in HR
- Excellent communication and stakeholder engagement skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work autonomously with high attention to detail across all areas of human resources in a fast-paced environment.
- Personable and professional approach, able to deal with confidentiality.
- Written and oral communication skills in English
- Experience with non-profit or international organizations
- Knowledge of gender equality challenges as they relate to the work environment and employment.
- Collaboration and Weaving
- Drive for results
- Adaptability and Continuous Learning
- Respect for Diversity
How to apply
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their application to HR Support Officer no later than 26th May 2023.
The application must include:
- a complete curriculum vitae
- a letter of interest
Please note that ONLY short-listed candidates will be contacted.