- March 17, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
1. JOB PURPOSE
The role of the Peer-to-Peer support specialist, Financial Oversight and Risk is to strategically support IPPFARO teams and Member Associations (MAs) to formulate and implement sound policies and procedures in accordance with recognized best practices and IPPF membership terms and conditions, to strengthen their internal controls and accountability and to promote the efficiency of their operations, using peer to peer strategies and approaches as well as technical assistance when necessary. He/she plays a crucial role on compliance of MAs with IPPF and other donors funding conditions and policies. The role will also support peer to peer financial governance among Mas
2. KEY TASKS.
Under the general supervision of the of the Head of Strategy, Organizational Development
and Governance Department, the Peer-to-Peer Support Specialist, Financial Oversight and
Risk will be responsible for the following duties:
- Support the region in the prevention, detection and management of fraud and
- Ensure that financial & other risks challenging the MAs performance are identified,
prioritized and appropriate action taken to support them.
- Support and give guidance to MAs in the identification, prioritization and implementation
of risk assessment and management strategies in a timely manner using peer to peer
- Develop/review and implement strong financial controls and accounting systems and
policies as well as effective collaboration with MAs on all matters relating to the IPPF
Africa Region budget, APB, project funding, reporting and data provision.
- Participate in any investigation under the responsibility of the Department of Strategy,
Organizational Development and Governance (SODG) and in the development and
implementation of roadmaps including debts and other institutional challenges, faced by
the MAs, as part of o risk prevention and management.
- Build capacity of MAs Governing Bodies, SMT and relevant staff on risk management
and financial oversight using peer to peer strategies and approaches.
- Monitor grants of MA, including the preparation of funding agreements, and release of
- Ensure Africa Region compliance to IPPF with donor project management policies, best
practices, and procedures, including the timely and complete submission of plans,
reports and other statutory requirements (Annual Program and Budget, Annual and Half
Year Reports, Audit report, etc.).
- Review audited accounts, annual and half-year reports, annual program budget (APB)
and other Mas special financial reports including follow up on the development and
implementation action plans, when recommendations come from external auditors.
- Lead and coordinate the development and implementation of peer-to-peer support
strategies on financial oversight, risk management and accountability, budgeting,
resource allocation and cost analysis based on principles of value for money.
- Promote, support and facilitate peer to peer learning experience and sharing including
coaching and mentoring as part of Organizational Development (OD) and growth of MAs
on finance and risk management.
- Ensure that MAs in the region can provide Technical Assistance on finance or risk
management of other MAs in the region and worldwide, directly or through centers of
- Support MA resource mobilization exercises with the External relations department of
the Africa regional office, the program and the operations’ departments , in particular for
the development of budgets for project proposals.
- Support the identification of ARO and MAs organizational /TA needs, skills gaps and
skills available to enhance peer to peer support and support capacity building initiatives
on Operations management of MAs.
- Support MAs to develop and implement sound business plans.
- Support MAs to comply with all legal, fiscal, and statutory requirements of governments,
donors, and other stakeholders of both restricted and unrestricted funding.
- Support MAs in the development and review of their strategic and annual plans and
- Promote and ensure a strong code of ethics and integrity within MAs project
management and programs principles and initiatives.
- Contribute to building donor’s trust and confidence in MAs to raise adequate funding to
effectively undertake sexual and reproductive health and rights programs and project
- Support incident management resolution related to fraud
- Support the prevention of safeguarding issues and contributes to their resolution
- Collaborate with the Peer-to-Peer support specialist project management and programs
in developing procedures, guidelines, and tools for Mas of Africa region in alignment
with national, regional and international standards.
- Work in close collaboration with other departments of the organization.
- Support the accreditation review of MAs and implementation of post accreditation action
- Support the Department of Strategy, Organizational Development and Governance to
ensure that department objectives are achieved on time.
- Undertake any other duties that might be assigned by supervisor or other departments
of the IPPF Regional Office.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge on financial management and oversight, auditing, and risk
management. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is
conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving
results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Takes responsibility for
incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in
all areas of work.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits
input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places
team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group
decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for
team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly
interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and
exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to
match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates
appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for
contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time
• An advanced university degree (MA/MSC) in Accounting, Finance management or related
field. • Membership of a recognized Professional Body in the related field.
3) Work Experience
At least seven years post graduate working experience. Broad experience on financial
management including auditing, risk, budgetary control, financial accounting, and project
management. At least 5 years’ experience in working in an international membership
organization or a federation.
English and French are the working languages of the ARO. For this post, fluency in English
and French (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include a desk review and/or an assessment exercise
which may be followed by competency-based interview.
6) Other Requirements
- High level of demonstrated Professional Ethics
- Integrity and Confidentiality
- Diplomatic skills
- Negotiation skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Good knowledge of IT
- Experience in working in a multicultural environment
- Willing to work outside standard office hours as required
- Willing to travel internationally- about 30 days a year
How to apply
The IPPF Africa Regional Office (IPPF ARO) is seeking an individual to fill the position of Peer to peer Support Specialist, Financial Oversight and Risk. The post holder will be responsible for overall coordination and management of grants and restricted funded projects of IPPFAR and will ensure adherence to internal and donor standards, policies and regulations. S/he shall design and administer grants in IPPFAR and Member Associations, developing and refining manuals, building capacity on financial and accounting systems, ensuring alignment with program objectives, and managing procurement systems. For more details about this position, please see the job description attached (below).**
Interested individuals should submit an application form in the IPPFARO CV form (attached) and a 1-page cover letter to: email@example.com with the job position you are applying for as the subject of the email. Please note that we will not consider applications that are not done in the requested format.
Closing date: 23 March 2022.
IPPF is an equal opportunity employer.
“Applications are particularly encouraged from women, persons living with disability, and candidates openly living with HIV.”
IPPF has been made aware of various fraudulent vacancy announcements circulated via e-mail from websites falsely stating that they are issued by or in association with IPPF. These correspondences, which may seek to obtain money from the recipients of such correspondence are fraudulent and IPPF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).