- March 24, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
People and Culture Manager
Oxfam in North Africa (NAF)
Based in Tunisia
Oxfam’s vision is a just world without poverty: a world in which people can influence decisions that affect their lives, enjoy their rights, and assume their responsibilities as full citizens of a world in which all human beings are valued and treated equally.
Oxfam’s programs in the North Africa sub-region have a one-program approach, working in humanitarian response, development and influencing, with the ambition of increasing the role of civil society in influencing & advocacy and knowledge-for-impact both within and beyond the countries where Oxfam works.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Internal Job Grade:
Type of Contract:
Full time per National Staff Terms and Conditions / Règlement Intérieur
Annual Salary & Benefits:
According to Oxfam salary scale and HR policy & conditions in Tunisia
North of Africa sub-region Director
Staff reporting to this position:
HR Coordinator (Tunisia)
HR Officer (Morocco)
Senior HR Officer (Algeria)
The people and culture unit is fundamental to the transformative change that we seek within the North of Africa. The People and Culture Manager will be a strategic and experienced hands-on leader that will facilitate and ensure the development of a highly effective and strategic People function to ensure the organization has the right structure, culture and talent needed to deliver on its objectives across the countries where Oxfam works in the North of Africa.
This person will be the trusted partner of the North of Africa sub-region Director and the Senior Management Team (SMT) on all people related matters. They will manage, support and enable the HR Coordinator and Officers in the countries to drive consistency in people process and practices and create people’s solutions for Oxfam in line with Oxfam’s strategic vision.
This position has three broad goal areas:
- To proactively provide strategic, analytical inputs and advice to the North of Africa sub-region Director and Senior Management Team, as well as to the HR Coordinator and Officers in order to achieve the Oxfam’s mission and strategy.
- To promote and develop a joint culture across the countries were Oxfam works by encouraging continuous exchange of practices, learnings and ways of working.
- To lead the HR team to ensure they have the capacity to guide managers on staffing issues in line with Oxfam policies and procedures and facilitate effective implementation to support delivery
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provision of Strategic People’s Leadership to the North of Africa sub-region Director and the Senior Management Team (SMT), as well as guidance, coaching and capacity building to the country HR Coordinator and Officers
- As a trusted People & Culture Partner to the SMT, influence senior management thinking and behaviors on the people aspects of the strategy, Operating Plan (OP), transformation and change processes and ensure that sound HR management and support is central to this.
- Provide strategic and practical leadership on translating Oxfam core values and feminist principles into policy and practices concerning employee relations.
- Provide strategic and practical leadership and guidance on promoting and maintaining a safe work environment with special attention to safeguarding, staff-wellbeing and staff health and safety.
- Provide support and advice to People and Culture plans defined and implemented, in order to achieve a common People’s framework.
- Ensure consistency with the global People and Culture strategies and drawing and building on developed best practice where this exists.
- Support the recruitment and capacity building of HR staff in collaboration with and in close relationship with affiliates’ HR capacity or the Transforming Business Support unit (TBS).
- Analyze trends, identify challenges on People and Culture matters across offices and provide solutions to the leadership team and HR country officers.
- Provide guidance on staff capacity building and in formulating the annual People and Culture plans.
- Develop, advise on and implement the human resource strategy necessary to support effective people management. S/he will ensure human resource management contributes to and is aligned to the strategic goals and lead the commitment to learning, development and knowledge management.
- Work closely with the leadership and the HR team to attract, recruit and retain talented people and to identify and develop high potential staff.
- Influence and contribute to the harmonization with the 3 Executing Affiliates of HR policy, procedures, standards, tools, and resources, in line with global requirements and regional/country specifics.
- Ensure effective adaptation at all levels and compliance with the local labor regulations and donor requirements.
- Learning, Culture and Organizational Development
- Ensure that teams are supported in understanding and accessing resources and knowledge to create and implement organizational and professional development plans and goals.
- Organize and develop joint initiatives across the countries to promote a common culture of diversity and inclusion that will increase the feeling of belonging and membership to the team that will implement a one-strategy.
- Ensure all the country offices have the focal points with proper comprehension of responsibilities on safeguarding as well as needed trainings are organised in this area
- Conduct talent mapping by identifying talent in countries, coordinate resources, fill the gaps and develop capacities in line with organizational requirements in order to optimize talent.
- Embed a culture of performance management (including country offices), where staff are held accountable, given feedback and recognised, using the Let’s Talk performance management tool.
- Support managers in the development and coaching of staff to optimise their potential in pursuit of Oxfam’s objectives.
- Stay abreast of changing organizational and external situational circumstances, which may impact the wider organization and proactively develop suggestions for addressing them and/or incorporating relevant information into Oxfam’s ideas and approaches.
- Support change processes, together with relevant colleagues in other stakeholders in Oxfam to operationalize them and make them effective according to Oxfam values and ways of working.
- Contribute to the development and dissemination of feminist principles and approaches as part of the leadership team.
- General Awareness and Coordination
- Support the design and implementation of any required HR new systems, processes and policies, working in coordination with the functional teams (countries and affiliates) and at global levels (MENA region and TBS).
- Establish connections and networks with peer INGOs to keep abreast of best practices and possible initiatives.
- As a member of the MENA People & Culture team, represents the needs, challenges and context.
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Degree in Human Resources or related field (where appropriate in the local context).
- At least 10 years of professional Human Resources Management experience at senior level positions with expertise in providing a superior, proactive, business focused service.
- At least 5 years of Organisation Development experience especially culture, capacity building and skills transfer, development and knowledge management. Experience in creating a learning and sharing environment.
- Proven experience and background on Safeguarding, management, monitoring and capacity building.
- Substantial knowledge and experience of organizational development.
- Extensive working knowledge and experience of (countries in the North of Africa) labor law and its application.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to work as part of a dispersed, multi-disciplined, multi-cultural team.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting gender equity and diversity and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
- Good command of English and/or French or Arabic (spoken and written).
- Proved capacity and negotiation skills.
- Knowledge and experience of the sub-region political, economic and social trends plus a good understanding of the key development and humanitarian issues of the Sahrawi refugee population in Algeria (desirable).
- Non-profit: experience of HR Organization Development in a (I)NGO (desirable)
How to apply
Interested individuals must apply no later than April 6th, 2022 by going to this link: https://career2.successfactors.eu/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=11353&company=OxfamNovibP
and clicking on the “Apply” button above.
In case further clarifications are need before the applications submission date, please do not hesitate to contact us via email.
Applicants from diverse backgrounds and nationalities based in North Africa or elsewhere in the MENA, and/or have proven experience in this region, are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will have their application acknowledged.
Oxfam is an equal opportunity organization.