- August 29, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Job Title: Post Harvest and Food Safety Volunteer
Department: Programs – VINES
Reports To: Project Manager – Post Harvest and Food Safety
Duration of contract: 1 year, renewable subject to availability of funding.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. CRS’ Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations, serving people on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs.
Catholic Relief Services’ Vines project, funded by the US Department of Agriculture, aims to help reinvigorate the Ugandan vanilla industry and return it to a place of major global importance. The project, which includes activities from top to bottom of the supply chain, recognizes the increasing importance that food safety and sustainability compliance will play for Ugandan exporters looking to strengthen their position in the global vanilla trade. To help pave the way for exporters into the market, Vines has dedicated resources to enhance the Ugandan vanilla industry’s understanding of buyers’ food safety and sustainability requirements, as well as support exporters’ implementation of policies and procedures necessary to move towards global best practice or even certification.
The Vine Post Harvest and Food Safety (PH/FS) component requires a volunteer to perform a variety of tasks organized by the Vines Post Harvest and Food Safety component in their engagement plan with processors and traders.
This position will help extend resources to the Vines Post Harvest and Food safety technical team in order to better serve the processors in cohorts 1, 2, 3 & 4. The volunteer shall be a reliable member to aid in completion of some activities of the engagement plan for vanilla processors and traders.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
• Under the guidance of the PM-PH/FS, ensure that program activities that facilitate a more rigorous food safety systems, improved packaging, and post-harvest methods for Ugandan vanilla, ensuring efficient and effective project implementation.
• Provide technical input to program activities related to vanilla processing, quality and food safety, and traceability systems.
• Deliver facilitation in the form of expertise in creation of food safety documentation to processors on the Post Harvest and Food Safety component.
• Identify and mitigate program risks.
• Assist the PH/FS team to ensure that the quality and appropriateness of activities to achieve the target indicators in a cost-effective, timely, and sustainable manner.
• Assist the PH/FS team in training and awareness programs under the engagement plan for Vanilla processors and traders.
• Monitor progress of assigned processors under the PH/FS component.
• Write follow up reports on activities.
• Respect and maintain confidentiality of information obtained from all partner organizations, volunteers, traders and donors during the cause of our engagement with them.
• Attend to our partners, the community in a courteous, personable manner.
• Be self-directed, willing to take initiative, and detail oriented.
• Perform any other duties as assigned from time to time by your supervisor.
• A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field including food science / safety / quality and technology, agriculture, Agribusiness, and/or food logistics.
• A minimum of 3 years demonstrated experience in quality control or food safety, preferably with private sector companies or US Government or other similar development projects focused on agribusiness and trade.
• A minimum of 2 year working with smallholder farmers, farmer groups and/or processors, preferably in the vanilla sector.
• Proficient in project management, creating action plans, timelines and working with third parties to ensure actions are completed.
• Working knowledge on implementing quality standards with experience in HACCP management, preferably with a background in the creation of HACCP programs, GMPs, GHPs.
• Knowledge / experience of auditing against a standard, preferably FSMS, HACCP.
• Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Knowledge of CRS partnership strategy a plus.
• Experience in training various levels of supply chain personnel from farmers to collectors, operators to processors.
• Able to work under pressure, meeting deadlines and objectives, with shifting priorities.
• Independent, proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented.
• Proficient in Microsoft office with strong knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Required Languages – English, total fluency with strong written capacity.
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 50% within Uganda.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Chief of Party, Partner Organizations, Head of Programs, PM-PH/FS, SPO-PH/FS.
External: Government, Peer Agency, Farmer Groups, Private Sector Organizations.
Agency REDI Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
Agency competencies clarify expected behaviors and attitudes for all staff. When demonstrated, they create an engaging workplace, help staff achieve their best, and help CRS achieve agency goals. These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Personal Accountability – Consistently takes responsibility for one’s own actions.
- Acts with Integrity – Consistently models values aligned with CRS Guiding Principles and mission. Is considered honest.
- Builds and Maintains Trust – Shows consistency between words and actions.
- Collaborates with Others – Works effectively in intercultural and diverse teams.
- Open to Learn – Seeks out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things.
Agency Leadership Competencies:
- Lead Change – Continually looks for ways to improve the agency through a culture of agility, openness, and innovation.
- Develops and Recognizes Others – Builds the capacity of staff to reach their full potential and enhance team and agency performance.
- Strategic Mindset – Understands role in translating, communicating, and implementing agency strategy and team priorities.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding related topics.
CRS Uganda is an Equal Opportunity Employer!
How to apply
To apply for this position please Click Here. The deadline for receiving applications is no later than September 8, 2023, before 5 PM