- November 25, 2021
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
IDinsight is hiring multiple full-time managers (4+ years of relevant experience) to grow our software development capabilities. In this role the manager will oversee IDinsight developer teams while working with clients and IDinsight project teams to define software solutions and ensure high quality project delivery. The manager will also work closely with Directors on the Data Science, Engineering &Monitoring Systems team (DSEM) to shape the operations of the fast growing team within IDinsight. In this role you may lead developer team standup and sprint planning meetings to build a data system aimed at getting high quality socio-economic data to policymakers, engage with clients to understand user needs for a machine learning solution that improves a clients on-the-ground operations, or work closely with IDinsight senior leadership and client development leads to define how we communicate our service offerings to potential clients.
Some product manager roles will work across multiple and external facing consulting projects while others will be focused on building better internal products for our Data on Demand team.
We are a social-impact oriented organization, so we can guarantee meaningful work tackling some of the world’s most complex international development challenges around the world.
Grow as a manager while doing meaningful work
We are working to build IDinsight into a global leader in the use of innovative data tools to solve some of the world’s most urgent problems.
You’ll be joining a growing engineering team and working on highly impactful and innovative projects with our partners. You’ll be joining an entrepreneurial team where you have a strong voice in how the team functions and grows. To be effective, software solutions need to be contextually relevant and build on subject-matter expertise. You will get to work closely with our partners, our team of developers, data scientists, economists, social-sector experts, and public health specialists to shepherd the design and implementation of solutions.
Learning is a key part of being a manager. 10% of your time would be dedicated to learning new skills and side projects of your choice. You’ll have strong mentorship to guide your career and you’ll have the opportunity to make interesting and valuable connections.
IDinsight helps leaders combat poverty worldwide by designing, deploying and promoting evidence- generating tools. We tailor the best methodologies to partner needs and constraints to fuse evidence with action. We serve governments, NGOs, foundations and social businesses across Africa and Asia in all major program areas including health, education, agriculture, livelihoods, finance, energy and governance.
Our approach rests on four pillars:
- Rigorous: We develop and use a wide-range of cutting edge data and evidence tools, including experimental evaluations, monitoring systems, data analytics and visualization, process evaluations, machine learning and more.
- Cost-effective: Every dollar spent is justified by expected impact. If funds could be better used in another way, we say so.
- Timely: Actionable information is delivered in time for client decision-making deadlines.
- Demand-driven: We deploy solutions tailored to partner contexts and needs with no competing agendas.
Our diverse, growing team of over 150 outstanding colleagues operate in nearly two dozen countries around the world. Learn more at www.IDinsight.org.
About the role
We are seeking candidates with a strong background in managing agile software teams, and a passion for building solutions to difficult social problems. Most importantly, successful candidates should possess the ability to lead teams solving complex challenges, both human and technological.
As a manager, the day-to-day work may include:
- Leading meetings and removing blockers for IDinsight developer teams.
- Leading the sprint planning and retrospective process.
- Creating and managing project work plans and budgets.
- Communicating with IDinsight project teams and clients on software planning and execution.
- Reviewing team deliverables for quality control.
- Producing materials for client development and fundraising.
- Working with the team leads to refine the project lifecycle and how we manage the team.
- Mentoring IDinsight junior team members and other managers.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 4-10 years relevant work experience, including managerial experience in a developing country.
- Experience managing software development teams, such as serving as a product manager.
- Experience using agile principles and tools in a management context.
- Understanding of the software development lifecycle and related concepts such as version control, testing, and continuous integration/deployment.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
Other required qualifications
The most competitive applicants will also have experience in one or more of the following:
- Advanced degree, preferably in public policy, economics, public administration, business, engineering, or computer science.
- Writing clean code in a production setting.
- Writing user- and developer-facing documentation for software projects.
- Designing architecture for software systems.
- Managing cloud infrastructure using a hosting service like AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Familiarity with user research methodologies.
- Experience managing budgets of large scale projects or P&L for a business unit.
We are hiring for this position across IDinsight’s India (New Delhi) and most Africa offices (Nairobi, Kenya; Dakar, Senegal; Lusaka, Zambia). We have a strong preference for candidates with existing work authorization; however, for exceptional candidates we will consider obtaining employment visas if possible.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, we are currently “working from home” globally. As such, successful candidates would be expected to work from home until it is possible to safely and responsibly work from an IDinsight office.
Compensation is commensurate with relevant experience and background, and competitive within the social sector. Please note, as a non-profit, we are unable to provide compensation similar to leading technology firms.
The start date of this position is flexible, although there is the potential to start almost immediately. We expect a minimum two-year commitment, with regular professional development conversations and potential for a long-term career at IDinsight.
Applications should include three references, including email, phone, and title. Briefly state in what capacity you worked with each reference.
How to apply
Apply through the following link – https://bit.ly/DSEM_Product_Manager