- July 28, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Position Title : Programme Officer (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Energy & Environment)
Duty Station : Kyiv, Ukraine
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 03 August 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states: Antigua and Barbuda; Barbados; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Dominica; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Holy See; Iceland; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Tonga; Tuvalu; Uzbekistan; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Officer (WASH), the Programme Manager (WASH Energy and Environment) will be responsible and accountable for planning, managing, coordinating, and ensuring the timely and effective implementation of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Program in the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Ukraine Emergency Response.
The intensity of the armed violence in Ukraine has a severe humanitarian impact on the population. The conflict has resulted in the loss of life, injuries, and mass movement of the civilian population throughout the country andneighboring countries, as well as severe destruction and damage to civilian infrastructure and residential housing. Public service provision – water, electricity, heating, and emergency health and social services – is under intense pressure, and people’s access to health care is limited by insecurity.
As a result of insecurity, people are fleeing from their homes in high-risk and the most-exposed areas in search of safety, many of whom were displaced multiple times by previous fighting. The disruption of basic services, as well as significant infrastructure and economic losses, is exacerbating the pre-existing humanitarian situation and generating critical new humanitarian needs that must be addressed urgently. IOM is one of the leading WASH agencies in Ukraine. The programme seeks for a qualified candidate to recruit to strengthen the ongoing WASH progamming. (Under L3 Emergency)
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Develop, manage and ensure the implementation of the WASH energy and environment projects to guarantee that scope, budget, time, and quality are in accordance to the different project specifications, donor requirements, and IOM rules and regulations.
2. Analyze, assess, develop, and ensure the execution of the WASH interventions in relation to the energy, environment, and climate change embedded into the WASH Energy and Environment programming. Align energy and environment projects to overall emergency response, recovery, and long-term plan of the organization.
3. Ensure that the project(s) activities under responsibility meet their intended scope, time, and budget as per the project’s work plan and take action to address any delay or workaround required for timely completion of activities.
4. Prepare project proposals and contact potential donors regarding access to energy, alternative energy, environmentally friendly approaches, and environmental impact assessment. Coordinate donor visits. Prepare contingency plans for WASH emergency response if required.
5. Lead the design process and oversee compliance of technical specifications for the implementation of the required WASH infrastructure and services to guarantee the quality of the output and alignment to international and national energy and environment standards and donor requirements.
6. Ensure sound financial management by monitoring project(s) budget according to internal and donor requirements. Ensure adherence to guidelines regarding the use of budget lines for the project(s) activities.
7. Mentor, coach, and manage Project Officers (WASH) and the staff under supervision; complete performance evaluations, oversee and help to resolve team conflicts. Ensure that adequate and relevant capacity building is provided to the members of the team.
8. Plan and supervise the project(s) procurements in line with approved by the Senior Programme Officer (WASH) specifications or bill of quantities (BoQs), working in coordination with the procurement and logistics unit to ensure that the required materials and items are procured and delivered to the respective sites in a timely manner. Manage the schedule with contractors and prepare and sign completion certificates. Work with the administrative units of IOM to ensure adequate contracts management, close-out procedures and final payments to the contractors.
9. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the WASH Cluster, other WASH agencies, government authorities/entities, and any other relevant stakeholder to ensure that IOM WASH activities are coordinated to avoid duplication, violation of national regulations or contravention of operational agreements set by the humanitarian community at the country level. Ensure that all relevant permits and authorizations are obtained from the local authorities to guarantee project stability and good relations with the local government.
10. Manage the implementation of WASH Energy and environment activities with IOM support units and ensure that inter-sectoral activities/approaches are planned and coordinated with the respective units/programmes.
11. Establish and maintain effective and active communication with all the stakeholders. Ensure that the relevant and necessary information is transmitted promptly upstream to the Senior Programme Officer (WASH) and downstream to the members of the WASH team under supervision.
12. Monitor the project implementation by performing regular visits to the areas of operation and take action to resolve challenges or gaps. Ensure that all the project data and information is archived and shared appropriately. Prepare regular reports to ensure project completion.
13. Ensure that cross-cutting issues are integrated into the WASH programming, such as GBV, Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP), and other cross-cutting issues of relevance.
14. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Natural Resources Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in the field of construction engineering and contract management;
- Experience in design, management, planning and implementation of civil design construction and WASH projects;
- Experience working with a non-governmental organization and/or international organization is an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of structural analysis and operating adequate software;
- Familiarity with design software such as AutoCAD and planning software such as MS Project;
- Knowledge of applicable codes, policies, standards and best practices related to the project;
- Good command of Geographical Information Software, such as ArcGIS, QGIS or equivalent will be considered a plus.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Ukrainian and/or Russian is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
CoreCompetencies– behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
ManagerialCompetencies– behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
To apply, interested applicants are invited to submit their applications HERE via the IOM e-Recruitment system by 03 August 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 21.07.2023 to 03.08.2023
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.