- March 11, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
A commitment to Protection is at the core of NRC’s mission. In Afghanistan, NRC is running a protection programme focusing on Protection of Civilians from situations of violence, implementing Civilian Self-Protection and delivering specialized protection services, including protection case management and individual protection assistance.
We are looking for a resilient Protection Specialist to join our team in Kabul Afghanistan. The Candidate should have a technical protection expertise, experience in complex and volatile context, at least 4 years of experience at senior level in humanitarian protection. And high coordination and adaptability skills.
Role and responsibilities
The purpose of the Protection Specialist is to technical lead the Protection Core Competency in NRC’s programmes and lead NRC Protection position vis-à-vis relevant coordination and decision-making fora.
The Protection Specialist provides expertise and is responsible for strategic advice, programme development, technical support and capacity building to country and programme management, and is responsible for mentoring, training and building technical capacity of Protection staff.
The Protection Specialist is responsible for identifying priority protection issues, building Protection capacities, technical guiding the specialized protection programme and developing and guide the implementation of protection strategies and plans. The Protection Specialist will develop strong working relationships with NRC field, programme and management teams and external Protection actors.
- Develop Protection strategy, technical guidance and Macro LFAs that are aligned with regional and global strategies and priorities
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within the Protection CC, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support
- Ensure that key learnings are extracted from Protection implementation, and incorporate them in Protection and staff development processes
- Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff, in approaches including cash-based interventions and market based programme
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Lead, with the protection adviser, on the contextualization of technical guidance, SOPs and tools on Civilian Self-Protection and Protection Case Management
- Ensure the documentation and institutionalization of Protection of Civilians and Protection Case Management programmes in NRC
- Lead on regular protection analysis, identifying integrated protection programming opportunities with the other CCs that lead to a reduction of protection risks in Afghanistan
- Ensure Safe and Integrated Programming minimum standards are adhered to within the Protection CC activities and grants.
- Responsible for networking and representation of NRC for protection related issues at strategic level, including within the Afghanistan Protection Cluster, ensuring NRC protection work is valued and understood by the wider humanitarian sector in Afghanistan.
- Contribute to the identification, development and maintenance of relationships with relevant stakeholders in Afghanistan (e.g. donors, UN agencies, NGOs, research- and educational institutions, private sector) related to protection.
- Contribute to the development and facilitate the use of effective assessment and M&E systems in Afghanistan ensuring compliance with NRC programme policy, quality standards and technical guidance.
- Contribute to the alignment of M&E and PCM systems with protection programming in Afghanistan.
- Contribute to the identification, prioritization, development and documentation of advocacy issues related to protection in Afghanistan.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (law, social sciences or related disciplines). An advanced academic qualification will be an added advantage.
- A clear understanding of protection issues, legal frameworks and professional standards in humanitarian and displacement contexts.
- Experience in implementing/overseeing specialised protection service delivery, including case management
- Experience in international organisations and/or NGOs.
- Excellent analytical skills and communication skills in writing and speech.
- Experience with facilitating and leading internal organisational processes.
- Ability to coordinate tasks and work processes and work with short deadlines
- Knowledge of the protection context in Afghanistan, desirable
- Knowledge of relevant legal and policy frameworks, international and domestic, with focus on International Humanitarian Law, Human Rights and Protection of Children in Armed Conflicts
- Experience as a people manager with the demonstrated ability to inspire trust and confidence in the team
Fluency in English, both written and verbal
We are also looking for people who share our values:
- To be dedicated in what we do;
- To be innovative with our solutions;
- To act as one unified and inclusive team;
- To be accountable to the donors that make our work possible; the people we exist to serve; and to each other… the members of our NRC family.
We encourage you to learn more about this role please click here to access the Detailed Job Description