- November 29, 2022
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
Context and Core Functions / Responsibilities
The European Readmission Capacity Building Facility (EURCAP), funded by the European Union (DG HOME), aims to contribute to more effective and efficient cooperation in migration governance between the EU and its partner countries (countries of origin) through capacity building initiatives. Specifically, the EURCAP Facility’s overall objective is to strengthen partner countries’ capacities to manage returns and cooperation on readmission with the EU, as well as to prevent irregular migration. One of the areas of interventions includes activities that focus on developing targetted and effective communication and awareness raising campaigns designed and implemented in the relevant partner countries that seek to sensitize the target population to the dangers and risks related to irregular migration to Europe and of the benefits of safe migration.
The EURCAP Facility is currently implementing a Support Action in Iraq, with the objective of contributing to stronger migration management in Iraq through effective communication and awareness raising in targeted communities of origin in the country about the risks of irregular migration to the EU, as well as existing legal alternatives. These activities will be further complemented and sustained by the strong capacity development component (training and mentoring) provided by IOM to Iraqi authorities. The consultant is thus expected to contribute with her/his knowledge and experience in the area of public information, strategic communication and awareness raising to the end of leading on the mentoring and provision of technical expertise and support to key GoI counterparts and institutional stakeholders. In this regard, the assignment will focus at two main areas, namely on (1) development and delivery of the strategic communication campaign, co-designed with the GoI, and on (2) strategic, migration management-related communication, within the timeline of the consultancy. The consultant will be required to ensure quality control throughout the mentoring, campaign design and delivery phase within the EURCAP Facility.
Under the general guidance of the Programme Manager (Migration Managment), the direct supervision of the Project Officer (Migration Management Capacity Development) and in close collaboration with the Local Project Team (LPT), based in Baghdad, and the EURCAP Facility Project Management Team (PMT), based in Brussels, and other units/colleagues as warranted, the Consultant will perform the following tasks:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Lead on the overall planning, implementation and monitoring of project activities linked to mentoring and support to the GoI on the planning, design and delivery of a strategic communication campaign aimed at raising awareness of the risks of irregular migration to Europe, benefits of safe migration and on social and economic opportunities in Iraq. This will be done in close coordination with the Project Officer (Migration Management Capacity Development) and the LPT;
- Mentor, with the support of the dedicated national staff, the key GoI stakeholders on the design and delivery of campaign messages, targeting and methodologies of implementation; organize meetings and follow-up consultations to collect further updated, qualitative information;
- Provide technical expertise and advise on public information campaign techniques and trends, awareness raising and communication strategies and practises through training and mentoring to the GoI (events, consultations, workshops) and in close coordination with the LPT;
- Contribute to production of tools and guidelines for strengthening the capacity of the GoI for the design and implementation of the communication campaign.
- Work closely with the LPT to utilize findings of the desk review and consultations with the TWG and targeted communities in the preparation of the communication and awareness raising campaign.
- Develop, jointly with the GoI / TWG a clearly defined and structured communication campaign plan, outlining the awareness raising / promotional activities, timelines and realistic goals to be achieved by the campaign;
- Support and mentor the GoI with the development and implementation of an effective and evidence-based strategic communication and awareness raising campaign. The campaign should focus at raising awareness of the risks of irregular migration to Europe, of safe migration and on social and economic opportunities in Iraq. The campaign should also include trusted, factual and balanced information on the risks during the irregular migration journey and after arrival in countries of destination, including migrant smuggling, trafficking in persons, harm and exploitation.
- Ensure that all campaign content development is closely and continuously discussed with the donor through the PMT in Brussels. This will be done at the inception of the ideas (prior validation of the messaging with the TWG), and at all subsequent stages, to secure the agreement of the donor on the messages and the direction to reflect the overall messaging, developments in terms of EU’s engagement with Iraq on migration and to address the evolution of the situation.
- Mentor and train the GoI on the development of strategic, migration management related communications, including through supporting development of a Strategic Communications Training Plan and delivery of specialized strategic communication training.
- Support the GoI in the development of a Migration Communication Strategy, using a whole-of-government approach.
- Coordinate regularly with the LPT to ensure reporting, monitoring and evaluation requirements are met in a timely manner; provide well-documented and evidence-based reports to complement the quarterly Flash Update reports, as well as the final report.
- Contribute to development of data collection and M&E tools and support M&E activities (review/provide inputs to survey questionnaires, target communities and stakeholders to be interviewed, review final M&E reports etc.), in coordination with the Project Officer, LPT and MEAL Unit, with the objective to gather relevant quantitative/qualitative information related to the communication campaign component.
- Respect EURCAP Facility’s communication lines and coordinate regarding any sensitive questions/issues with the direct supervisor based in Baghdad.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in Public Relations, Communication, Journalism or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Practical knowledge and experience in developing and implementing information campaigns and/or strategic communication campaign, strategies, tools and guidelines, preferably in the area of migration governance (the candidate will be required to submit relevant samples of previous work);
- Specific experience in conceptualizing and providing capacity building support (mentoring) to government stakeholders.
- Experience with designing and delivering communication and awareness raising campaigns under the international donor/organizations-funded projects is desirable;
- Thematic knowledge in the migration field and familiarity with IOM programmes is desirable;
- Working experience with IOM or any other UN / international organization is desirable;
- Previous working experience in Iraq or the MENA region will be an asset;
- Excellent knowledge of English is required.
- Knowledge of Arabic will be an asset.
- Fluency in English language is required.
- Working knowledge in Arabic language is an advantage.
- In-country travel is required and determined based on the needs of the assignment, in coordination with the Project Officer (Migration Management Capacity Development) and the LPT.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible. – Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct. – Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. – Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes. – Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate. – Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work. – Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via this link:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.