- August 11, 2023
- Posted by: strategia
- Category: Humanitarian Jobs
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity, and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
What we are looking for
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is seeking a highly qualified, resilient and dynamic professional that will play a key role in providing overall leadership, and strategic direction to NRC’s policy and advocacy work with a specific thematic focus on the regional migration crisis in Latin America and particularly in the North of Central America and Mexico.
What you will do
- Identify and coordinate NRC’s advocacy response to the regional migration crisis in both within the country office, the region and internationally.
- Develop, steer, and implement a regional specific advocacy strategy related to the regional migration crisis in Latin America and its impact in NCA and Mexico
- Ensure advocacy coherence and reinforce effective synergies between programs and advocacy by working closely with program staff to integrate advocacy into program´s planning and implementation.
- Provide high quality analysis on key humanitarian and displacement trends and prepare evidenced-based policy briefing papers, policy position statements and other public-facing advocacy products when strategic and relevant.
- Liaise with other NRC Country, Regional and Global Representation Offices to coordinate the strategic delivery of advocacy messaging and to maximize impact.
- Advise on media lines and media strategy, ensuring potential risks associated with NRC’s positions are assessed and sign-off procedures are adhered to
- Represent NRC to key stakeholders in Mexico, strengthen strategic advocacy networks and identify opportunities to advocate NRC’s position.
Please download the detailed job description to learn more about the position.
What you will bring
- Post-graduate with minimum 5 years of relevant Manager/ Adviser experience within the humanitarian field and especially in immigration policies in the US
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts**. Experience in Latin America would be an asset**
- Professional knowledge about protection principles and advocacy, and the use of media for public advocacy
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities, particularly in analysis, drafting of messages, coordination and networking.
- Solid understanding of international legal and policy processes relating to displacement especially mixed movements
- Familiarity with US protection policy environment would be a strong asset
- Strong managerial and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in Spanish and English, both written and verbal
What we offer
- Duty station: Mexico City, Mexico
- Contract: international or national contract, 9 months
- Travel: up to 30%
- Salary/benefits: grade 9 on NRC’s regional salary scale, with accompanying terms and conditions
- NRC is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to diversity without distinction to age, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, and physical ability.
- We think outside the box, encourage ideas, and give responsibility to all employees at all levels. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative.
Important information about the application process
- Internal candidates only: please click on the suitcase icon labelled “I am an employee” to be redirected to NRC’s internal careers site.
- When creating your profile, include your full name as given on your passport. Complete all the system-required fields for experience, employment history and education.
- Submit your application and CV in English, taking care to attach your latest CV.
- Applications that do not meet the minimum standards in terms of experience or qualifications will generally not be considered. Unsolicited applications not related to this specific job advertisement will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We receive many applicants for each vacant position.
- If you have any questions about this role, please email email@example.com with the job title as the subject line.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. Our 15,000 staff work in crises across 40 countries, providing life-saving and long-term assistance to millions of people every year.
Watch this short video to see NRC in action.
NRC has been working in the North of Central America (NCA) since 2014, meeting the needs of tens of thousands affected by violence and natural disasters, including the internally displaced, refugees, people in need of international protection, deported people, and their hosts.
We contribute to the development of policy aiming to protect the rights of the displaced and we call for increased humanitarian funding and engagement on processes that will generate structural changes in protection and assistance in the region.
In the past years, the number of refugees and migrants on the move in Latin America have been increasing substantially. Many try to reach the United States and Canada and the growing number of people reaching Mexico is overwhelming the border areas, and humanitarian needs are escalating. In 2022, over 2 million people were intercepted by US border forces trying to cross into the US. The recent context developments and changes of US migration policies would likely result in a high number of migrants and asylum seekers stranded in Tapachula (south of Mexico) in need of humanitarian assistance.
NRC North of Central America and Mexico (NCA&M) Country Office (CO) was established in January 2021 and NRC currently operates in four countries: in Honduras, in El Salvador, in Guatemala and in Mexico working through a national partner in the border town of Tapachula. As the magnitude of the humanitarian situation in Mexico kept increasing, NRC is planning to scale-up its programs in Mexico in 2023.
We are looking for people who are passionate about helping refugees and people forced to flee. Are you one of those people? If you are, NRC offers you the opportunity to:
- do demanding and professional work, often in challenging contexts
- join a work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility
- be part of a welcoming and supportive community committed to human dignity
How to apply
Posted status and is now posted: